I'm sure I'm not the only one who is feeling the uncertainty with the economy in the world today.
I've tried to keep optimistic and positive. I've caught myself turning off the television just so I don't have to listen to it any longer. It seems to heighten the anxiety level.
I double think every purchase -- is this a want or a need?
My job is on the line.
I don't like it.
I've always felt secure at my job and working for a University; reliable income, good atmosphere and great benefits. This month marks my 10 year anniversary. Wow! I have a feeling I won't be getting an Aggie shirt to celebrate this momentous occasion. Perhaps a coupon for a free Aggie ice cream? One could be hopeful. =)
It was recently announced, depending on the Legislative cuts, that the University will be forced to layoff 300-600 employee's in the next 6 months. Those numbers are huge to me! These aren't just numbers, these are families. The trickle down effect of this will surely be detrimental not only to the families but to the vitality of the valley.
In today's newspaper it was announced that the Theatre and the Music Department will be merging under one Department Head because of the current financial need. The departments did have first hand knowledge that this was in the works - just seeing in print makes it more of a reality and that change is surely coming! Since I work for the Theatre Department as their business manager.....it's very concerning. Joining the two departments creates duel role responsibilities. I can't help but feel a bit of a lost soul.
This has been a good time for reflection and prayer. Ultimately, I'd love to stay at home and be a full time Mom. Financially we would drown. I keep thinking how I could be creative enough to make it work? Wouldn't it be nice to just have that "perfect" something that you could do...and wouldn't have to rely on other's for your income? Sometimes I have a difficult time thinking outside the box. I'm better at stealing ideas and "tweaking" them to make them my own.
In the mean time.....I wait and wonder what opportunities will present themselves for my future and the future of my family. I always know in my heart that things will work themselves out...it's just having the faith during the uncertainly to rise above it all.
Today I keep smiling.....and a little chocolate on hand doesn't hurt either. =)
3 comments:
great post Keri!! :) I luv you!
scary times right now for alot of famililes. But when it hits home---its different.
I have ALWAYS admired you and Matts ability to magange money---if anyone can make it through this TEMPORARY time...you can!
Faith is good.....and Keep smiling---your prettier that way..lol
luv ya and I will pray for you!
Keri,
I'm so sorry that you are feeling the stress of a bad economy. My heart sank as I read your post but I know that you are excellent at your job and that if anyone deserves a good, stable job it is you. Happy anniversary! Kevin and I celebrated our first anniversary last Saturday. I just want you to know how much I look up to you, the short time we worked together showed me just a pinch of the wonderful person you are. I am so grateful that our paths merged, if only for a few months. I'll pray for you too :)
p.s. keep the chocolate comin'! Nothing helps a sad heart like a happy stomach!
Bags and bags of chocolate!!
Luved the post Ker-bear!
Sorry for the discomfort this is all causing in your life right now.
It is scary for many families.
Things will be OK....of course they will. You guys will take on whatever comes. You have already proven you can do hard things! :)
We'll keep you in our prayers. and send *keep the job* vibes your way!
LOVE YOU ALL!
HUGS.
Post a Comment