Friday, July 11, 2008

Utah Shakespearean Festival

What a wonderful week! I had the opportunity to travel with 7 theatre apprenti to Cedar City, Utah to attend the Utah Shakespearean Festival. These 7 students range from 16-18 in age. They are obtaining hands-on experience by working for the Old Lyric Repertory Company this summer and one of the fun things they get to do is attend the USF.

I went as a chaperone with another gentleman from the Company. Landon also was able to travel with us on this adventure.

We saw 6 shows in 3 days time. Show at 2pm and 8pm each day. It was a busy schedule. In the mornings we took tours and attended actor seminars. One of the tours included seeing the underground tunnels between theatres that the actors and actresses use so they aren't seen in their costumes.

The six shows that we saw were:
Cyrano de Bergerac
Othello (3rd favorite)
The Two Gentlemen of Verona
The School of Wives (2nd favorite)
Fiddler on the Roof
Tamming of the Shrew (My favorite!)

I took a couple of pictures of Landon with the apprenti, but I took my old camera and now it won't download the pictures! bummer. I'll keep trying.

One of the highlights of the trip was able to go to the Executive Director's, R. Scott Phillips, home after the Tuesday night's performance of The School of Wives. He's the head honcho of the Festival! His back yard was incredible and was all decked out with sodas, snacks, lights and tables. We all felt very important. The other chaperone, Fred, who accompanied us was a good friend of Mr. Phillips...so they caught up while the rest of us ate snacks, admired the yard, and talked.

It was a wonderful time. A couple of the shows were a little "Shakespeare wordy", but both Landon and I soon found ourselves really understanding and enjoy the theatre experience. I've already asked the boss to SIGN ME UP FOR NEXT YEAR!


Tamming of the Shrew


The School of Wives


Othello

1 comment:

Simply Lavender said...

AWESOME!
Glad you had such a great time.
If you and Landon start talking funny we'll know where it is coming from..........:)
Wherefore art thou Keri and Landon?


HUGS.